- Time: 1 Hour 20 Minutes
- Difficulty: Medium
- Servings: 6 Servings
- 90g polenta
- 55g ground almonds
- 75g buckwheat flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Juice of 4 lemons
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp milled flaxseed + 5 tbsp hot water
- ½ cup maple syrup, honey or any other liquid sweetener (we used maple syrup)
- ¼ cup nut milk of choice (we used almond mylk)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2x 35g bar Raw Halo Dark + Lemon & Himalayan Salt
Giving the classic English teatime favourite, the lemon drizzle cake, an Italian twist is this delicious Lemon Polenta Chocolate Drizzle Cake, made from all-natural ingredients. Although free from dairy, gluten, eggs and refined sugar, this cake certainly isn’t lacking in flavour.
The polenta adds real texture and flavour, as do the ground almonds with their subtle sweetness. The zesty lemons are the stars of the show with their citrusy sharpness, balanced perfectly with the rich dark chocolate.
Enjoy a slice with your afternoon green tea, or serve warm with melted chocolate as a sure way to impress your dinner party guests.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C
- Prepare the flaxseed by adding to the hot water and leave to set for around 10 minutes
- Mix the polenta, flour, almonds, salt, baking powder, and baking soda
- Pour in the lemon juice, zest of 3x lemons, maple syrup, almond mylk, coconut oil, and flaxseeds. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a loaf tin and place in the oven for 35-40 minutes. Cool before decorating.
- For the chocolate topping, melt the Raw Halo bars with the zest of 1x lemon for an extra kick.
- Drizzle over in desired pattern and eat when set, or warm and melted.