Hooray, it’s National Chocolate Week! Here at Raw Halo HQ, we’re spending the week the only way we know how: by indulging in our most favourite sweet treat. But let’s be honest, in our chocolate HQ most days resemble National Chocolate Week…
However if you don’t want to overindulge on your quest to celebrate this glorious week, we’ve compiled a list of 7 healthy ways to enjoy chocolate over the next 7 days.
- Blend it into your morning smoothie. If you like to whizz up a healthy shake first thing, boost your morning mood with the addition of unsweetened cacao powder. Not only will it impart a delicious chocolate flavour, but with very few calories there is no indulgence, just pure enjoyment. The chocolate flavour combines beautifully with activated nuts for a choco-nut breakfast or mixed with a naturally sweet fruit to balance out the bitterness of the cacao. You could even scoop cacao powder into a green smoothie to supercharge it! Follow @mangoandcocos on Instagram for delicious smoothie bowl inspiration like our feature image above.
- Fold it through your nut butter. If like us you have a serious addiction to nut butter, incorporate unsweetened cacao powder in with your favourite butter for an out of this world chocolate and nut experience. Spread it on your morning toast, dip apple slices in it, or just enjoy it one spoonful at a time straight out of the jar.
- Dessert for breakfast. We’re not advocating brownies first thing, instead opt for a delectable morning oomph by scattering cacao nibs or broken pieces of raw chocolate over your bircher muesli or chia fruit pots. Feeling the winter chill? Swirl them into warm porridge and savour the liquified deliciousness of the chocolate melted with the creamy sumptuousness of the oats.
- Add it to savoury dishes. No not chocolate dipped carrots, that’s a tad too far. Think Mole, the traditional Mexican sauce – a heady combination of chili peppers, spices and raw chocolate. Or veggie chilli – melt a few squares of our Pure Dark bar to add depth of flavour.
- After dinner treat. Satisfy those late night sweet treat cravings with a couple of squares of our Dark+Nibs bar; high in antioxidants and magnesium, with only a little coconut sugar, it’s sure to hit the spot.
- Make a mocha. Stir a teaspoon of unsweetened cacao powder into a mug of hot coffee, pour in a dash of your favourite nut mylk and enjoy (add coconut sugar if you like your mocha a little sweeter).
- Create your own post-workout protein shake. It’s irrefutable that a protein shake after working out aids your recovery, so why ruin your hard work with the shop bought, sugar laden varieties? Simply blend your favourite raw chocolate, or unsweetened cacao powder with your choice of milk (almond mylk is our fave!). The combination of carbs and protein will be just what your body needs after a tough workout. The cacao’s iron helps transport oxygen around the body and its heart healthy flavonoids help lower blood pressure. A delicious and healthy win-win!